Agenda and draft minutes

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Barum Room - Brynsworthy. View directions

Contact: Corporate and Community Services  01271 388253

Note: For meetings held at Brynsworthy only, you can join the meeting virtually via Microsoft Teams. There are also limited spaces to attend the meeting in person. If you would like to join the meeting virtually or attend in person please contact Corporate and Community Services by 12pm 2 working days prior to the meeting by telephone 01271 388253 or email All meetings will be recorded and uploaded to the Council’s YouTube channel. If you attend the meeting virtually, please be aware that your phone number and/or your email address will be visible to councillors and officers of North Devon Council attending the committee but will not be visible to members of the public or others. This is required to allow you to be identified on Microsoft Teams, the software used by the Council to hold virtual meetings, and will not be used for any other purpose by the Council. For more information, or to exercise your rights, visit 

No. Item


Apologies for Absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Milton and Renshaw.


NOTE: Following the meeting it was noted that Councillor Whitehead had given her apologies which had been sent via email after the commencement of the meeting.


To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 9 April 2024 pdf icon PDF 541 KB



RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 9 April 2024 (circulated previously) be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.


Items brought forward which in the opinion of the Chair should be considered by the meeting as a matter of urgency


There were no items brought forward by the Chair that should be considered as a matter of urgency.


Declarations of Interests

Declarations of Interests. (Please telephone the Corporate and Community Services team to prepare a form for your signature before the meeting. Interests must be re-declared when the item is called. A declaration of interest under the Code of Conduct will be a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest, an Other Registrable Interest or a Non-Registrable Interest.  If the item directly relates to your interest you must declare the interest and leave the room for the item, save in the case of Other Registrable Interests or Non-Registrable Interests where you may first speak on the item as a member of the public if provision has been made for the public to speak.  If the matter does not directly relate to your interest but still affects it then you must consider whether you are affected to a greater extent than most people and whether a reasonable person would consider your judgement to be clouded, if you are then you must leave the room for the item (although you may speak as a member of the public if provision has been made for the public to speak) or, if you are not, then you can declare the interest but still take part).



There were no declarations of interest received.


Taxi Rank Review pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Public Protection Manager to report.


James Bench, and Sam Bull, from Devon County Council’s,Traffic Orders, Policy and Programme Team were present for this item.


The Public Protection Manager advised the Committee that Devon County Council had approached the Council regarding the current number and marking of taxi stands in the North Devon Council area. The Council was required to review taxi stands from time to time and would undertake this review with Devon County Council. The Council had a duty to provide taxi ranks, and taxis provided an important link to public safety, particularly in the service to the night time economy.  Comments would first be sought from the Committee on the proposals put forward by Devon County Council (circulated previously) and comments would then be sought from the taxi trade. A report would then be presented back to the Committee prior to potentially placing an advertisement in the local newspaper and going out for formal consultation.   She outlined the process to the Committee advising that the Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1976, section 63, allowed North Devon Council to create hackney carriage stands subject to permission being sought from the landowner i.e. Devon County Council. Ranks could be located on private land such as the rank located at Barnstaple rail station, which was a 24 hour stand.  She explained that for the creation of stands, consent needed to be obtained from the Highways Authority and consideration needed to be given as to whether the stand would have an impact on premises or transport operators.  Notice was then given to the Chief Officer of Police and a notice placed in a local newspaper with a deadline of 28 days for any comments or objections to be made.  Consideration would then be given to any comments or objections received.  If no objections were received, then the creation of the rank could go ahead.  If objections were received, sufficient to prevent the stand, then the creation of the rank could not go ahead.  Devon County Council as the Highways Authority role was to consider the Traffic Regulation Orders.  There were a significant number of ranks that were “no waiting” rather than “no stopping”. 


James Bench, Devon County Council advised the Committee that the Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO) process required statutory consultation together with a process that must be followed.  Proposed TROs were required to be advertised for 21 days.  Consultation responses were then considered by the Devon County Council Ward Councillor and by the North Devon Highways and Traffic Orders Committee (HATOC).  It was proposed that TROs would only be presented to the North Devon HATOC if significant objections had been received. Minor changes to TROs could be determined under officer delegated powers in consultation with the Devon County Council Ward Councillors and North Devon Council. The main principle was to make improvements to ranks to make them clearer and easier to enforce.


In response to questions raised by the Committee, James Bench, Devon County Council advised the following:


·       “No stopping” would result in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.


Adjournment of meeting


RESOLVED that it being 11.58 a.m. that the meeting be adjourned for a short comfort break.


RESOLVED that it being 12.03 pm that the meeting be reconvened.


Community Safety Updates

Crime Safety Partnership Officer to report.


The Service Lead – Community Safety Partnership Officer/Harm Risk advised the Committee that the Community Safety Partnership had met on 30 April 2024.  He provided a brief update to the Committee on the outcomes of the meeting and advised that the minutes would be circulated to the Committee in due course.


Sergeant Kevin Connar, Community Safety Partnership provided an update to the Committee following the recent tragic deaths on 27 and 28 April 2024 following substance abuse which had been described as an “unusual batch” of heroin that had been mixed with powerful manufactured drugs. Police had been made aware of similar incidents in the Torbay area over the May bank holiday weekend. The response to the incidents demonstrated joined up working between the Police, statutory and non-statutory authorities.  The local police and first responders had been given the power to administer a blocker to synthetic opioids.   The police had been working closely with the Freedom Centre.  There was a need for vigilance and any information from members of the community to be shared so that appropriate response could be taken.


The Committee extended their condolences to the families of those who had died and to others that had been affected.  They also thanked the Police and those involved in responding to the incident over the weekend of 27 and 28 April.


The Committee discussed the circumstances as to why synthetic opioids were being manufactured and being used by individuals.


The Service Lead – Community Safety Partnership Officer/Harm Risk advised the Committee that Public Health Devon had produced guidance on safety when taking drugs.  There was increasing concern regarding the manufacture of synthetic opioids in America.  The law prevented the provision of safe places where people could go to use drugs in England.  Together Drug and Alcohol Services located at Riverside Court in Barnstaple had replaced the Quay Centre. Public Health Devon were providing testing kits which allowed users to test for synthetic opioids.


In response to questions from the Committee, Sergeant Kevin Connar advised that Councillors were key in obtaining knowledge within their areas and it was then important to connect communications with the Police so that they were aware. Upon receipt of information from any source, the Police undertook an assessment based on threat, risk and harm.


The Service Lead – Community Safety Partnership Officer/Harm Risk advised that a programme of bite size sessions were in the process of being arranged. These sessions were aimed at Councillors and members of the Community Safety Partnership which also included Torridge District Council. The first session would be held in June.  The sessions would include scams, modern slavery and hate crime.  Details of the sessions would be sent to the Corporate and Community Services Team to share with Councillors.  He also advised of the provision of a new night bus service which would be introduced from July to September 2024.  The night bus service would run from Barnstaple to Bideford and Barnstaple to Ilfracombe, costing £2 per fare.  This was to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.


Explore inclusiveness of Diverse communities pdf icon PDF 224 KB

Chair to present.


The Committee considered and noted a report by the Chair (circulated previously) regarding Exploring inclusiveness of Diverse Communities.


The Chair outlined the report to the Committee which had been produced following a recent meeting with Sergeant Kevin Connar, Community Safety Partnership, Community Safety Lead and the Corporate and Community Services Officer to discuss work which was happening currently and to identify any further opportunities.


In response to questions, Sergeant Kevin Connar advised that the Community Security Trust would be holding a session on 19 June 2024 regarding hate crime. Officers from the Council were working closely with and supporting Afghan families.