Venue: Barum Room - Brynsworthy. View directions
Contact: Corporate and Community Services 01271 388253
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Hunt, Luggar and Roome.
RESOLVED, that the minutes of the meeting held on 18th November 2021 (circulated previously) be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Declarations of Interest.
(Please telephone the Corporate and Community Services team to prepare a form for your signature before the meeting. Interests must be re-declared when the item is called, and Councillors must leave the room if necessary).
There were no declarations of interest announced.
Presentation by the Head of Planning, Housing and Health.
The Committee considered a report by the Head of Planning, Housing and Health (circulated previously) regarding the outcomes and recommendations from the two informal meetings of the Policy Development Committee, which were held on 21st October and 25th November 2021.
The Head of Planning, Housing and Health gave a presentation to the Committee providing a recap of the process that was undertaken at the two informal panel meetings held in October and November 2021.
He explained that as part of the stakeholder consultation meetings each representative was invited to address the informal panel and that it was a very effective process, which enabled the officers to gain extensive knowledge of their local community’s housing needs.
Following these meetings, officers discussed the points raised and developed 10 recommendations, which were categorised under various housing needs with a view to delivering the most appropriate and cost effective solutions.
He explained that following their analysis of their housing needs assessment, the process was split into four parts:
· Part A: by population.
· Part B: by place.
· Part C: by property type.
· Part D: by process.
Officers then identified the following 10 recommendations as potentially appropriate and cost-effective solutions six of the recommendations related to increasing supply and four related to reducing demand:
1. Empty Homes – Programme to be led by the Head of Planning, Housing and Health.
2. Housing company/strategic partnerships – greater support/more housing supply for economically active households. This programme would be led by the Head of Place, Property and Regeneration and the Senior Economic Development Officer.
Estate regeneration/whole town approach for
Ilfracombe – preparation of detailed plans in advance of new
funding streams. This programme would be led by the Head of Place, Property and
Regeneration and the Senior Economic Development Officer.
4. Community Land Trusts (CLTs): Review
This programme to be led by the Service Lead for Housing Market Balance.
5. Planning viability assessments-maximising affordable housing. Programme to be led by the Head of Place, Property and Regeneration and the Service Manager for Place.
6. North Devon Council Development Management process efficiency. Programme to be led by the Service Manager for Place.
7. Home energy efficiency. Programme to be led by the Lead Planning Officer (South) and the Service Lead – Home Adaptations, Improvements and Energy Efficiency.
8. Enhanced homelessness prevention. Programme to be led by the Service Lead - Housing Advice and Homelessness.
More suitable and cost effective temporary
accommodation. Programme to be led by the Service Lead - Housing Advice and
10. Risk based inspection programmes for Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs). Programme to be led by the Head Planning, Housing and Health.
He added that each of the recommendations directly responded to the requirements of the stakeholders from both meetings. He added that in addition to the 10 recommendations, officers had also identified a further two recommendations, which were:
· Providing support to rough sleepers.
· Meeting the site and support needs for gypsies, Travellers and van dwellers. ... view the full minutes text for item 36.
To consider the work programme (attached).
RESOLVED, that the work programme be noted.