Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Chief Executive advised that shortly prior to the publication of the agenda, the prospectus for the Levelling up Round 2 had been published. He provided Council with the following update:
· The Levelling Up Fund was £4.8bn.
· Round 1 closed in June 2021. The second round of the Fund focussed on the same three investment themes as the first round: local transport projects that make a genuine difference to local areas; town centre and high street regeneration; and support for maintaining and expanding the UK’s world leading portfolio of cultural and heritage assets.
· The priority areas for the fund were categorised into levels 1, 2 and 3. North Devon had been placed at the lowest level 3. Other areas in Devon such as Torridge District Council had been categorised into higher priority areas. Other areas in Devon have been moved from 3 up to category 2. These changes had occurred as a result of the indices that were used.
· He recommended that Council to go ahead and submit a bid for Round 2 of the Levelling Up Fund concentrating on Ilfracombe and to use Round 1 bid as a basis for the bid.
· Investment proposals should focus on supporting high priority and high impact projects that will make a visible positive difference to local areas.
· Projects may include capital infrastructure proposals that better protect against flooding and coastal erosion where they form a coherent part of a wider transport, regeneration, and/or culture and heritage bid.
· Projects may include proposals that strengthen the work of councils and multi-agency partners in tackling a range of community safety issues and reducing crime.
· Bids would be assessed based on 4 criteria set out in the assessment framework.
· As part of the process the Council would be required to consult with a range of local stakeholders including the MP. The MP was required to be in support of the bid.
· The deadline for the submission of bids for round 2 was 6 July 2022.
It was moved by Councillor Worden and seconded by Councillor Prowse “that Council go ahead and submit a bid for Round 2 of the Levelling Up Fund concentrating on Ilfracombe and to use Round 1 bid as a basis for the bid”.
RESOLVED that Council go ahead and submit a bid for Round 2 of the Levelling Up Fund concentrating on Ilfracombe and to use Round 1 bid as a basis for the bid.
Publication date: 03/05/2022
Date of decision: 06/04/2022
Decided at meeting: 06/04/2022 - Council