Decision Maker: Strategy and Resources Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee considered a report by the Chief Executive (circulated previously) regarding the Litter Strategy and the notice of motion referred by Council on 13 January 2021.
The Lead Member for the Environment highlighted the following:
· The Litter Strategy had been influenced and supported guidance issued by WRAP “Binfrastructure – the right bin in the right place”.
· A funding opportunity had arisen for the procurement of smart bins and the Council was required to have a strategy in place prior to submitting a bid for funding.
· The strategy aimed to change the behaviour of people, make it easy to dispose of litter and improve enforcement.
· The Strategy contained defined objectives which were linked to actions.
· Some elements of the Notice of Motion referred by Council could be achieved as part of the strategy.
In response to questions, the Chief Executive advised that the strategy provided a framework. The action plan would detail how the strategy would be achieved and delivered. The Council would undertake a litter pick along the North Devon Link Road, but it was anticipated that this would be delayed to later in the year due to resources available.
(a) that the Litter Strategy be approved;
(b) that the Chief Executive be delegated authority, after consultation with the relevant Lead Member and relevant ward members, to adopt Action Plans for the whole District or particular areas, targeting littering of different types; and
(c) that the notice of motion be referred to the Climate Action Team for consideration.
Report author: Ken Miles
Publication date: 11/02/2021
Date of decision: 01/02/2021
Decided at meeting: 01/02/2021 - Strategy and Resources Committee