Decision Maker: Strategy and Resources Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee considered a report by the Chief Executive (circulated previously) regarding a proposal to form a dedicated Destination Management Organisation (DMO) for Northern Devon.
The Chief Executive highlighted the following:
· The paper attached to the report had been produced by North Devon+ and gave a background of the role of a DMO and the potential advantages that it might bring to the northern Devon area.
· There had been a major impact on tourism in northern Devon as a result of the Covid 19 impact with Ilfracombe and Combe Martin being the worst affected wards in Devon and this had been prior to the second national lockdown.
· A DMO would be solely linked to northern Devon rather than relying on other organisations.
· The proposal had been discussed with the North Devon Marketing Bureau who were supportive and see their organisation working in a complimentary way with any new DMO.
· It was estimated that the cost of taking this proposal forward may be in the region of £80,000. Efforts would be made to secure external funding and explores ways of undertaking work internally.
· He suggested that recommendation 2.2 be amended to include “or other resource” after the word “funding”.
That note the content of this report be noted and approve in principle to exploring the proposal further, including consultation with businesses and stakeholders;
That officers be supported in efforts to identify external funding or other resource to move forward with (a) above.
Publication date: 17/11/2020
Date of decision: 02/11/2020
Decided at meeting: 02/11/2020 - Strategy and Resources Committee